Hello, I am Dee Ann Pascoe, and I'm the lactation consultant (LC) at UT Health Tyler. The lactation consultant is a specialist trained to focus on the needs and concerns of the breastfeeding mother-baby pair. The LC is an extender of maternal-child services and assists to prevent, recognize and solve breastfeeding difficulties. As an International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant, I am committed to helping breastfeeding families reach their goals and support a positive experience.
Most of our population agrees that exclusive breastfeeding is the gold standard of infant nutrition across the United States and the world. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends exclusive breastfeeding for six months and to continue breastfeeding with complementary foods for 12 months or longer.
Although we have been told "breast is best,” many are still unaware of all the benefits for both mother and baby.
Just to name a few:
- Mom will have a decreased risk of bleeding after delivery.
- Mom will have a decreased risk of post-partum depression.
- Mom will have a decreased risk of breast and ovarian cancer.
- Mom will lose post-partum weight faster.
- Baby will have decreased risk of allergies.
- Baby will have decreased risk of ear infections.
- Baby will have decreased risk of obesity and diabetes.
- Breastfed babies are smarter!
Breastfeeding promotes special bonding for both mom and baby. Breast milk is designed specifically for each individual baby's needs, and the composition of the milk changes to meet those needs.
Best of all, this "liquid gold" is absolutely free!
Let's empower parents and support our breastfeeding families in order to promote a healthier population.
Happy National Breastfeeding Month!
Information provided by Dee Ann Pascoe, RN, IBCLC. For more information on labor and delivery services provided at UT Health Tyler, visit UTHealthTylerHospital.com/services/labor-and-delivery.